Sunday, September 6, 2009

Women I actually like....

Running friends are the best. For one, they are not lazy. Two, they always seem to be encouraging or they tell you to pull your head out of your tushy. I like that my running friends are not shy and will tell me something I might not want to hear, but need to hear. It‘s refreshing. Maybe that’s why I don’t (or didn’t) have female friends. They all seem so lazy and boring. Did I say that out loud?

I was pace leading my group yesterday and one these fine ladies and I were talking about wanting to cultivate our friendship with the women in our running group. It was nice to know that I am not the only woman who feels that way. I was starting to think that I was the only woman who had the problem of finding other women I wanted to hang out with. But these women who run are amazing. They inspire me, which is saying something. There are a few running women's blogs I love to read, and the main recurring theme is how tenacious these women are. They are all beautiful; some large, some small, some fast and some slow, but they are all hard workers. I love it. It makes me want to support them and inspire them as much as they inspire me. I finally don't feel 'judged' by other women. I feel like I have found my 'equals'. Gosh just typing that makes me seem conceited. Let me attempt to explain.

These women don't make excuses, they find ways to make their goals happen. They don't blame their husbands or complain about them. That is very refreshing. They don't sit on the bench complaining about being overweight or tired. So yeah, I guess it is simply that they are not lazy and boring. I love them for that. How about you? Have you found new friendship while running?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think besides being surrounded by great ladies, I am capable of being a better friend now. I was never really a fantastic friends to the women in my lives and the friendships eventually declined. Surrounded by my running friends, I put time and effort into these relationships as the miles go by. That's different for me and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you just refer to me as "large"?.... and "overweight or tired"?

    Yes, I have great running girlfriends!

    ReplyDelete