Thursday, September 24, 2009

Yep, I cheated.

I came home from track last night dripping with sweat and what must have been a guilty look on my face. Aric sensed something was amiss.
"What have you been doing?"
"Uh, nothing honey," I said, with less confidence than I intended. "Just pace leading... You know, like I always do on Wednesday nights. How was your evening?"
"You seem a little flushed. Anything you want to tell me?" he pried.
"Uh, no. I don't think so," I continued innocently. "My group did really well tonight. We did 300's."
He squinted with suspicion. "Yeah? So you just ran with the slower pace, right? You didn't run any 300's for you, of course, because you're injured. Right?"
He must have seen through my cool veneer into the panic of my mind, as I avoided eye contact. The pressure was too much. I cracked. "Yes, I did it!" I blurted. "I cheated! I ran three extra 300's on my own. I'm sorry, I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to feel the thrill of running again. I needed to run. Please, you forgive me, can't you?"
"Huh? What the heck are talking about?" he queried. "You don't need forgiveness. You just can't complain when you injure yourself again." Hard and cold, he continued, "No crying to me about your 'hammy' hurting. I'll just say, 'I told you so.' Got it?"
Grudgingly, I agreed. "Yes, dear."
With that resolved, he lightened the mood. "So, how did you do," he asked. "What were your times?"
Way to stand firm and not enable me, honey. How am I ever going to learn if my husband doesn't keep me in line better? Oh, well.
From there we talked about how slow my times were. He was very encouraging, saying that it won't take me too long to get my times back. I think he is just excited that I'm going to run with him again this Friday. I do believe my hubby misses our Friday running dates. So I guess it's OK to cheat... as long as your spouse is a runner, too. Who knew?

(Thanks to Aric for helping me with this post)

No comments:

Post a Comment