Saturday, July 11, 2009

Listening to your body

Today I had a 12 mile run scheduled. My friend was supposed to meet me at 7:00am to run 6 miles with me. By 7:13 she called saying that she needed to get gas and that she would catch up with me. So off for a quick 4 miles. As I started out I could tell right away.... it was not going to be a quick 4 miles. My foot hurt, my IT band hurt, my hip hurt, heck my brain even hurt. So I decided I'd try to make it a relaxed 4 miles. Problem is I couldn't settle into a pace. Mile 1 -8:37, in which it hurt to hold. Fine. Mile 2 -8:43. Time to throw in the towel and re-evaluate my miles and pace today. Mile 3- 9:00 and my friend caught up to me. So the talking commenced. Mile 4-8:32. I felt a little pressure and relief to be running with her again so the pace was easily picked up. The wonderful part about running with a friend who is faster than you and has fresh legs. You feel like you should hold the pace and you get so lost in conversation you forget about the pace....for a little bit. But today I couldn't or didn't want to push through my mental block.

So now it's time to pace lead. Although I'm not sure I pace lead anyone. My legs felt heavy and I just didn't want to run 8 more miles. Did I mention my foot hurt? So I was smart and listened to my body and only ran 4 more miles. It is hard for me to let go of a 12 mile run.

Tonight I am looking forward to meeting my Hood to Coast team. I know some of them. But as my team captain said, get to know them before you smell them. Should be fun beers, food, and running friends. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment